Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Collaborations


I remember when Richard Kidd first opened up in Vancouver they used to carry a line called Libertine. If I remember correctly, Libertine took vintage Egyptian cotton and silk screen graphics on the shirts.

Another line I was introduced to was Gryson. Joy Gryson was a designer for Marc Jacobs and then started her own handbag line.

The reason why I am bringing up these fashion labels is because they are doing collaborations with the department store Target.

I often think about collaborations and the point of them. In a marketing point of view one company associates themselves with the client base of another company, this develops branding and promotion in another industry. On a personal level, it is really cool to do a collaboration with friends you know that are making things happen or to work with people that you have admired and want to work with.

I wonder what questions a company ask when fashion companies do work for big companies. There maybe a big cheque involved, maybe sales were dropping and they needed to make a move before throwing in the towel. If Finale ever gets big I wonder if we will ever get offered a collaboration with a big store or company and if we will go take the big cheque or try and keep our integrity with the underground.